Friday, August 6, 2010

If You Like Your Doctor....

Remember this one, repeated over and over and over again by Barak Obama? If
you like Your Doctor you can keep him, If you like your insurance....blah blah blah blah.


If You like your Insurance...you can keep it.
I received a letter this summer, actually a packet explaining my employer's new insurance. "We're making it better!" They exclaimed, "and it will be cheaper, too." Immediately after that line was one that explained how my copay for doctor's visits would go up and how prices for generic drugs would more than double. Okay, I thought, we'll just have to put more aside for copays and deductibles. but at least they have made every doctor a preferred provider....

If you like your doctor...you can keep them.
Yesterday the phone rang. It was my child's pediatrician asking for my new insurance information. After giving her the name and policy numbers, there was a long pause on the other end. "We don't accept that insurance," the snooty receptionist responded, "Do you still want to bring your child in?"
So now, after 12 years with the same pediatrician, who has treated my children since they were newborns, including circumcisions, stitches, ADHD treatments, and acne; who knows their names and problems and what stickers they lick to pick out, I have to start over.

And everyone will have the security and stability that's missing today.
I assume that by "everyone" the president includes me and my children. How stable and healthy is changing a child's pediatrician when they are eight because of changes that force employers and providers to limit care?

Today I am pissed.

1 comment:

  1. I think you missed the point. If we had universal healthcare you wouldn't have the problem of your child's pediatrician not taking your insurance.

    ReplyDelete