Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hope and Change--a Contrast in Leadership

In 1964, Ronald Reagan spoke at the Republican Nomination of Barry Goldwater for president. In that election, Goldwater lost in one of the biggest landslides in history to Lyndon B. Johnson, who carried the torch of John F. Kennedy into office. Reagan's speech became a manifesto for the Conservative movement that led to his election as governor of California in 1966 and a landslide election as president 14 years later.
In the waning years of the Reagan era, his vice president, George Bush (the senior) chose as his running mate a young Congressman by the name of Dan Quayle (who had 12 years experience in the Senate). During the VP debates, Quayle was sniped famously by Lloyd Benson for comparing his experience to that of John F. Kennedy (who struggled in foreign policy and relied heavily on supply side economic policies to maintain a robust economy):
Quayle: Three times that I've had this question — and I will try to answer it again for you, as clearly as I can, because the question you're asking is, "What kind of qualifications does Dan Quayle have to be president," "What kind of qualifications do I have," and "What would I do in this kind of a situation?" And what would I do in this situation? [...] I have far more experience than many others that sought the office of vice president of this country. I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the people in the Bush administration, if that unfortunate event would ever occur.
Judy Woodruff: Senator [Bentsen]?
Bentsen: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.


In 2000, Barak Obama gave a speech to the Democratic National Convention and Democrats began salivating; they had the "Ronald Reagan of the modern era." Eight years later we see the Democratic "savior" swept into office, enacting policies that would make even Lyndon Johnson shout "Save our Constitution!" Today thousands of Americans, who lived through the seventies can forcefully say: "Senator Obama, I remember Ronald Reagan, I trusted Ronald Reagan. Mr. Obama, you're no Ronald Reagan."
The following is a comparison of speeches on the issues that matter, between Ronald Reagan, the "Great Communicator" and Barak Obama, the "Great Windbag." Watch and learn, America:

No comments:

Post a Comment